Edmonton Economic Development Corporation

Preparing to Work in Edmonton

Depending on your degree, certificate, or profession, you will need to have your credentials assessed in order to work in your area of expertise. This may be done, for a fee, by the International Qualifications Assessment Service through the Government of Alberta, or the professional governing body of your profession.

Some professions also require further testing and qualifications. Please contact these organizations for details.

Government Resources

Canadian Information Centre for International Credentials (CICIC) This bilingual site provides a thorough overview of information about credentials, education, qualification, and employment in Canada. It is well organized and easy to navigate.

Government of Canada - Immigration details everything you need to know about citizenship and immigration. Its the "first stop" site for anyone thinking of immigrating to Canada, with lots of important links to related governmental and non-governmental agencies.

International Qualifications and Assessment Service provides an advisory educational assessment service that compares educational qualifications from other countries to provincial educational standards.

More Help

Career Services Information The Edmonton Mennonite Centre for Newcomers has a complete resource on getting work in Edmonton

How to get a Skilled Workers Visa is directed at immigrant workers, especially those seeking a “skilled workers visa." Includes step-by-step guide for assessing eligibility, a resource page about living in Canada, and links to major embassies.

The Bredin Institute provides free services to internationally trained professionals and trades people who want to re-enter their profession in Canada. Flexible, open programs deliver occupation-specific information sessions, pre-employment workshops, study groups, and licensure preparation to such professions as doctors, nurses, engineers, social workers, and many others who have professional degree or diploma from other countries. They also assist clients with a fully equipped and updated resource centre. For comprehensive information contact 780.425.3730, or go to www.bredin.ab.ca

Northern Alberta is looking to hire skilled trades and staff professionals like you. Find your opportunity at http://opportunityawaits.com/.