Holidays in Edmonton
Throughout the year there are a number of official holidays. Most full-time workers get a day off work on each holiday, with pay. Those who are required to work on holidays get a special holiday wage for that day.
Designated holidays in Edmonton are:
- New Year’s Day (January 1)
- Family Day (Usually the 2nd Monday in February)
- Good Friday (the Friday before Easter)
- Victoria Day (the Monday before May 25)
- Canada Day (July 1)
- Labour Day (the first Monday in September)
- Christmas Day (December 25)
Lunar New Year (Chinese/Vietnamese New Year) is well recognized in the community, although it is not a day off work.
Many employers choose to give their staff a paid day off on other general holidays, such as Boxing Day or Heritage Day.
For more information